From uncrowded beaches to the sparkling estuary where dolphins play, Nambucca Heads will catapult you into a real-life postcard. Less than five minutes off the Pacific Highway, the relaxed, seaside town of Nambucca Heads lies at the mouth of the Nambucca River.
The name ‘Nambucca’ is derived from the Gumbaynggirr word meaning ‘entrance to the waters’ or ‘crooked river’. The beaches and river lure anglers, surfers, swimmer, boaties and photographers alike. Many lookouts offering breath-taking views are dotted along the headlands – views to South West Rocks to the south, almost to Coffs Harbour to the north and west along the river to the mountains.
Top five experiences:
1. Fabulous coastal scenery awaits those who wind their way down to the headland or take a walk along the outdoor art gallery known locally as the V-Wall. Take a stroll along a series of boardwalks that wind along and over the water to the river entrance, with storyboards highlighting historical sites. Drop your fishing line in along the way and see if you can catch dinner!
2. Clean, uncrowded and inviting, surf and river beaches such as Shelly, Beilby and Main Beach are popular all year round. Main Beach in patrolled throughout the summer school holidays and at weekends between October and Easter. Nearby Swimming Creek Beach is dog friendly.
3. Hire a boat, kayak or stand up paddle board and explore the Nambucca River. Put on a snorkel and discover the underwater world. Well over 90 species of marine creatures call Nambucca River home, including tropical fish, dolphins and turtles.
4. Discover a delicious range of restaurants and cafes amongst boutique shops along the main street, as well as the Nambucca Heads street mosaic, which tells the tale of the Nambucca River.
5. Play golf on an island golf course. Possibly the only golf club in the world surrounded by water, this challenging 18-hole golf course is set on Stuart Island in the Nambucca River. With views across the river and out to the ocean, abundant birdlife and exceptional cuisine, it is popular even with non-golfers.
Follow us @nambuccavalley
Visitor Information Centre
Giinagay Way & Riverside Drive,
We are open 4 days a week:
Thursday - Sunday: 9am - 5pm